Increase Your Knowledge About Homelessness
Homelessness is a complex issue without quick and easy solutions. We invite you to educate yourself about the homeless population here in Birmingham, Jefferson County and the seven county metro area by exploring the websites and other literature featured here.
Our entire community benefits when the issue of homelessness is dealt with effectively. We are looking for willing partners who are committed to change the world one person at a time, one issue at a time! The knowledge you will gain through these sites will hopefully propel you to act to meet the needs of the chronically homeless men we serve.
Through our efforts to end chronic homelessness in the Birmingham metro area, the number of men, women and children on any given day has been reduced from nearly 2,200 to 1,950 homeless in a recent study by ONE ROOF. That’s a 14.5% decrease over the past three years according to their data. Let’s continue this downward trend.
Website Links To Educate Yourself About Homelessness
- Addiction Coalition
- Alabama Arise
- Alabama Homeless Service Organizations
- Birmingham Homeless Service Providers Directory
- City Action Partnership (CAP)
- Greater Birmingham Ministries
- Homelessness in the US: Sleep Study and Accommodation Directory
- National Alliance to End Homelessness
- National Coalition for the Homeless
- National Law Center for Homelessness and Poverty
- National Low Income Housing Coalition
- Non Profit Resource Center for Alabama
- ONE ROOF
- The Freedom Source(Pathways to Freedom from Addiction)
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
10 Year Plan To End Chronic Homelessness In Birmingham
The cost of chronic homlessness is staggering. Our vision is to put an end to chronic homelessness. To that end, we have begun providing housing opportunities to move these men off the streets of Birmingham and into housing programs that provide a step-by-step continuum of services that will prevent homeless episodes from recurring. Help us achieve our goal!
Recent Study On Birmingham & Jefferson County’s Homeless
Recent Study Regarding Needs of the Homeless in Birmingham
Though the numbers have shown a downward tick in the recent year, over-all numbers of the younger generation are increasing. At the Shelter, we are seeing a greater number of young adults aged 17-22 than ever before. There are solutions, but, we cannot do this ourselves. Read the attached link to find out more about the area’s homeless and what you can do to help us address their needs.
The Firehouse Shelter Video Gallery
In an effort to increase public awareness of The Firehouse Shelter and all that we do to address the needs of the homeless in the Birmingham metro area, we have recorded a series of interviews with staff, former guests, and long time board members. Our goal is to feature a different video each month that highlights a different aspect or point of view of The Firehouse Shelter.
Known for years as a soup kitchen and an emergency shelter, The Firehouse Shelter has reached into the affordable housing industry to provide low cost stable housing options to the homeless men who walk through our doors. Our video collection brings special attention to all of the people and programs that have transformed the lives of the homeless and how effective we have been at re-weaving these men back into the fabric of society once again.
Special thanks goes out to Chuck Watkins with New Leaf Design for the design, layout, and editing of every video produced since May 2012. We hope each video touches your heart and moves you to act with a greater compassion to serve ‘the least of these’.
- Bobby Humphrey: Former NFL & Alabama Football Star Shares Inspiring Message
- Nichrien Smith: From The Inner City Projects Of Chicago To The Firehouse Shelter
- Roy West: 17 Year View On The Growth Of The Firehouse Shelter
- Erv C: The Transforming Effects Of The Firehouse Shelter TEAM
- The Firehouse Shelter: 25+ Years Faithfully Serving The Homeless